The ninety-seven signatories include Chair of Momentum, Jon Lansman, Gillian Slovo, Miriam Margolyes OBE, and Susie Orbach:
This submission has been drawn up by a group of Jewish Labour Party members who have been active within human rights organisations, anti-racist and anti-fascist campaigns and training, refugee support, education in a range of contexts and at all levels, and have been involved in a range of Jewish organisations and projects such as:
Jewish Socialistsʼ Group, Jews for Justice for Palestinians, Independent Jewish Voices, Jewish Cultural and Anti-Racist Project, Jewish Music Institute, Friends of Yiddish, Kehillah North London.
Our submission is relevant to all the terms of reference of the inquiry, but we focus particularly on those aspects that aim to:
• understand and address antisemitism in the wider context of racism in general;
• provide the most effective context for training on these issues at all levels of the party; and
• ensure that Jewish people are welcomed and integrated into the party alongside other minorities.
We feel strongly that the education and training of Labour Party members and officers on issues relating to antisemitism must be the responsibility of an inclusive and progressive Jewish group that is able to meet the demands of this role because it would be positively focused on Jews in the Labour Party here in Britain.
Before this Inquiry was announced, a number of us had been discussing the need for such a representative group as a permanent element within the Labour Party. The events during the run-up to the local and Mayoral elections, and the establishment of the Inquiry, have encouraged us to address this more urgently. With our long, deep and broad range of experience, we intend to help form such an inclusive group, along the lines stated in the following proposal.
Proposal on Jewish representation in the Labour Party
We wish to see the setting up of a broad-based organisation which can become a “Jewish Section” or an affiliated organisation of the Labour Party.
It will be open to all Jews who are members of the Labour Party.
Its guiding principles will be rights and justice for Jews everywhere without wrongs and injustice to other peoples anywhere.
Welcoming the fact that Jews are an international people with communities in many countries, its outlook will be internationalist and anti-racist and it will link the interests of Jewish people with those of other minorities and oppressed groups.
While individual members of the new group may have particular attitudes towards or connections with Israel/Palestine or any other country, it will not impose on its members a stance on proposed solutions to conflicts in the Middle East; instead it will encourage a free and respectful exploration of the issues from Labour/socialist perspectives, and will reserve the right to criticise any regime on the grounds of human rights violations.
Its purposes will be to:
• provide a platform to represent the concerns and interests of Jewish members at all levels of the Party;
• campaign against antisemitism and all forms of racism and discrimination, and assert a progressive Jewish identity as part of multicultural Britain;
• strengthen links between Jews and other ethnic minorities in Britain;
• uphold and continue the long tradition of Jewish involvement in struggles against oppression and for social justice, both locally and globally;
• act as a cultural and social hub, which can share the cultural resources of Jewish members and organise social and cultural events as well as political forums in which issues can be freely debated from various viewpoints; • seek support for the Labour Party among the wider Jewish community.
Its constitution will affirm that its primary allegiance is to socialism and the values of the Labour Party.
Such a section or group would expect to be consulted by the Party leadership and the National Executive Committee where issues directly concerning Jewish members arise.
It would also expect to fulfil a training role in the Labour Party, and act as an advocate in cases where disputes arise concerning Jewish matters.
We do not feel that the Jewish Labour Movement (known until 2004 as Poʼale Zion, Workers of Zion) is the correct vehicle for this role because it has an explicitly Zionist constitution, is committed to promoting “the centrality of Israel in Jewish life”, and requires that its members adhere to a particular view of the Israel/Palestine conflict and Zionism. In doing so it excludes a large proportion of Jewish Labour Party members, including many of the signatories to this submission. We believe our Jewish perspective has a natural home in the Labour Party, but would not wish to sign up to the constitution of the Jewish Labour Movement, nor would we be welcome to join it.
1. Robert Albury Islington North CLP, Junction Ward
2. Ruth Appleton GC delegate for Highgate Branch of Holborn & St Pancras CLP representing Unison-Labour Link; Branch Secretary and London Region delegate for Camden Unison Retired Members
3. Julia Bard Islington North CLP; St Georgeʼs Ward; national committee member of Jewish Socialistsʼ Group; editorial committee of Jewish Socialist magazine
4. Mark BarnesGutteridge Gorton CLP, Whalley Range Ward
5. Graham Bash Hackney North CLP, Secretary Lea Bridge branch; Member of Unite Community
6. Sir Geoffrey Bindman Hornsey and Wood Green CLP
7. Rica Bird Wirral South CLP, Eastham Ward; founder member of Merseyside Jews for Peace and Justice; signatory to Jews for Justice for Palestinians; supporter of Liverpool Friends of Billʼin
8. Alice Bondi Penrith and the Border CLP, Alston Moor branch
9. Barry Buitekant Hackney South CLP, Haggerston Ward, Councillor
10.Prof Jane Caplan MA, DPhil, FRHistS, FRSA Oxford CLP, South West Central branch; member of UCU; Prof Emeritus of Modern European History, University of Oxford; author of Nazi Germany and Concentration Camps in Nazi Germany
11. Hazel Chowcat Secretary North Thanet CLP, Herne Bay Branch
12. John Chowcat Delegate to North Thanet GC, Chair Herne Bay Branch
13. Eran Cohen Finchley & Golders Green CLP, Woodhouse branch; student member of University of York Labour Club; member of York Liberal Jewish Community; member of Jewdas
14. Norma Cohen Hackney North CLP
15. Robert Cohen Westmorland & Lonsdale CLP; signatory of Jews for Justice for Palestinians; blogger on Israel/Palestine at Micah’s Paradigm Shift
16. Ron Cohen Finchley & Golders Green CLP, Woodhouse branch; member of Barnet Alliance for Public Services
17. Judith Cravitz Islington South & Finsbury CLP
18. Prof Miriam David Islington North CLP, St Georgeʼs Ward; founder member of Jews for Justice for Palestinians and British Shalom Salaam Trust
19. Ivor Dembina Vauxhall CLP; writer and performer of three Jewish shows
20. Prof Elizabeth Dore Holborn and St Pancras CLP, Highgate Ward 3
21. Michael Ellman Islington North CLP; former Labour candidate for Haringey council
22. Prof David Epstein FRS Kenilworth and Southam CLP; signatory of Jews for Justice for Palestinians
23. Debbie Epstein Cambridge CLP, Romsey Ward; former representative of Moseley Ward on Birmingham CLP and conference delegate
24. Dr Laura Epstein North East Hertfordshire CLP, East Herts Rural Branch; secretary Isle of Dogs branch 1993-94; member of Amnesty International
25. Arye Finkle Barnet CLP, Totteridge branch, former Membership Secretary and Chair; member of Liberty, Amnesty International, Jewish Voice for Peace
26. Joseph Finlay Brent Central CLP; former Deputy Editor of Jewish Quarterly; founder of Jewdas
27. Raoul Fishman Battersea CLP
28. Murray Glickman Ilford South CLP
29. John Goodman Rugby CLP, Rural West branch; signatory of Jews for Justice for Palestinians
30. Stuart Goodman Finchley & Golders Green CLP; member of Jewish Socialistsʼ Group
31. Tim Gutteridge Edinburgh Northern and Leith CLP
32. Michele Hanson Islington North CLP
33. Abe Hayeem Affiliated Labour Party member via UNISON; Chair of Architects and Planners for Justice in Palestine; signatory of Jews for Justice for Palestinians; member of Israeli Coalition Against House Demolitions UK; member of Stanmore United Synagogue
34. Rosamine Hayeem Harrow CLP; signatory of Jews for Justice for Palestinians; member of Amnesty UK, Palestine Solidarity Campaign, Israeli Coalition Against House Demolitions UK
35. Michael Heiser Brent North CLP; formerly Brent East CLP and Brent Central CLP, holding various offices including Branch Secretary and constituency vice-chair; Brent Councillor 1986-1990
36. Prof Susan Himmelweit Holborn and St Pancras CLP
37. Sue Hughes Hornsey and Wood Green CLP
38. Dr Anthony Isaacs Hampstead and Kilburn CLP, Political Education Officer Hampstead Town and Belsize Branch; Steering Group member of Independent Jewish Voices
39. Riva Joffe Holborn and St Pancras CLP
40. Ann Jungman Hornsey and Wood Green CLP
41. Jenny Kassman Islington North CLP; signatory of Jews for Justice for Palestinians
42. David Kaye Secretary Kilburn (Brent) -Francesca Klug Holborn and St Pancras CLP, Kentish Town Ward
43. Francesca Klug Holborn and St Pancras CLP, Kentish Town Ward – See more at: http://freespeechonisrael.org.uk/shami-chakrabarti-inquiry-remit-make-submission/#sthash.fZPG6COM.dpuf
44. Simon Korner Delegate to Hackney North CLP from Hackney Downs branch
45. Marion Kozak Holborn and St Pancras CLP, Chalk Farm Ward
46. Richard Kuper Holborn and St Pancras CLP, Highgate Ward; a founder member of Jews for Justice for Palestinians
47. Jon Lansman Bermondsey & Old Southwark CLP, Riverside Ward; Chair of Momentum; Editor of Left Futures; national committee member of the LRC and the CLPD executive; Director of Operations on Jeremy Corbynʼs 2015 leadership campaign
48. Pam Laurance Brent Central CLP, Welsh Harp Ward
49. Pauline Laurance Finchley and Golders Green CLP 4
50. Leah Levane Hastings and Rye CLP, Secretary, West Branch; member of Unite Community; signatory of Jews for Justice for Palestinians
51. Susan Loppert Islington & Finsbury South CLP, Holloway Ward; Member/supporter of Liberty, Amnesty, Stop the War Coalition, Keep Our NHS Public, NHS Action Party
52. Sue Lukes Islington North CLP, Vice Chair Highbury East Ward; Chair Music in Detention; trustee Kehillah North London (North London Progressive Jewish Community); policy adviser to Strategic Legal Fund for Vulnerable Young Migrants; director MigrationWork and trustee MigrationWork Trust
53. Simon Lynn Hackney North CLP
54. Miriam Margolyes OBE Lambeth CLP
55. Stephen Marks Oxford District CLP; former Councillor and Deputy Labour Group Leader, Oxfordshire County Council
56. Steven Mendoza Twickenham CLP
57. Karen Merkel East Ham CLP, Manor Park Ward
58. Prof Michaela (Mica) Nava Islington North CLP, St George’s Ward; Emeritus Professor of Cultural Studies, University of East London; signatory Jews for Justice for Palestinians; Author of Visceral Cosmopolitanism: Gender Culture and the Normalisation of Difference
59. Diana Neslen Ilford South CLP
60. Bracha Newman Finchley and Golders Green CLP, Woodhouse branch
61. Ines Newman Holborn and St Pancras CLP, Highgate Ward; signatory of Jews for Justice for Palestinians
62. Rabbi Jeffrey Newman Finchley and Golders Green CLP, Woodhouse branch
63. Prof Michael Newman Holborn and St Pancras CLP, Highgate Ward; signatory of Jews for Justice for Palestinians
64. Susie Orbach Hampstead and Kilburn CLP
65. Ursula Owen Holborn and St Pancras CLP
66. Rina Picciotto Islington North CLP
67. Emeritus Prof Sol Picciotto Warwick & Leamington CLP
68. Frances Rifkin Holborn and St Pancras CLP, Gospel Oak ward; member of Jewish Socialistsʼ Group; signatory of Jews for Justice for Palestinians; radical theatre maker
69. Prof Jacqueline Rose Hampstead and Kilburn CLP; Author of The Question of Zion
70. David Rosenberg Islington North CLP, St Georgeʼs Ward; Secretary, Cable Street 80; International Solidarity Officer, Islington NUT; author of Battle for the East End and Rebel Footprints
71. Prof Jonathan Rosenhead Member Hackney South and Shoreditch CLP; 1966 Parliamentary Candidate for South Kensington; Emeritus Professor of Operational Research, LSE
72. Rina Rosselson Brent North CLP, Tokyngton Ward
73. Anna Round Secretary, Newcastle North CLP
74. Jenny Salaman Manson MA Oxon Finchley and Golders Green CLP, vice chair Garden Suburb branch;; Parliamentary candidate for Hendon North,1987; Barnet Councillor 1986-1990; Chair of trustees Barnet Carers Centre and Mind in Barnet; author of What it Feels Like to be Me and Public Service on 5 the Brink
75. Prof Donald Sassoon Islington South and Finsbury CLP; Emeritus professor of European Comparative History; author of One Hundred Years of Socialism
76. Dr Ian Saville Brent Central CLP, Welsh Harp Ward; performer and Lecturer in Theatre Arts
77. Monika Schwartz Islington North CLP, organiser, Junction Ward
78. Amanda Sebestyen Holborn & St Pancras CLP, Camden Town with Primrose Hill branch
79. Glyn Secker Dulwich and West Norwood CLP, Herne Hill Branch
80. Prof Lynne Segal Islington North CLP, Highbury East ward; member of Independent Jewish Voices; signatory of Jews for Justice for Palestinians
81. Linda Shampan Hammersmith CLP
82. Prof Avi Shlaim FBA Oxford West and Abingdon CLP, Oxford and District branch; Emeritus Professor of International Relations, St Antony’s College, Oxford; author of The Iron Wall: Israel and the Arab World
83. Jeff Silverstein Streatham CLP, Clapham Common Ward
84. Clifford Singer Hackney North and Stoke Newington CLP; Director, Digital Action Lab 85. Laurence Singer South West Hertfordshire CLP 86. Gillian Slovo Hampstead and Kilburn CLP
87. John Speyer Lewisham Deptford CLP; treasurer Jews for Justice for Palestinians; member and former chair of Sheffield; District Reform Jewish Congregation; Director of Music In Detention; former activist in Sheffield Unite Against Fascism
88. Prof Annabelle Sreberny Islington North CLP, Highbury East Ward; Emeritus Prof, SOAS University of London; writer on the Middle East, especially Iran; signatory to Jews for Justice for Palestinians, member of Amnesty International
89. Lev Taylor Bethnal Green & Bow CLP
90. Stephen Tiller Hackney South CLP, Hoxton West Ward; Labour candidate for Croydon Council Shirley Ward; Playwright, Director, Performer, University Teacher; Co-creator and performer of Two Schmucks Three Opinions
91. Clara Usiskin Hove and Portslade CLP
92. Tessa van Gelderen Brent Central CLP, Kensal Green branch
93. Jacqueline Walker South Thanet CLP; a founder member of the Kent Anti Racism Network (KARN)
94. Tirza Waisel Finchley & Golders Green CLP, Woodhouse ward; member of Unite Community; Barnet Alliance for Public Services; volunteer at Barnet Refugees Service
95. Naomi Wimborne Idrissi Chingford branch delegate to Chingford & Woodford Green CLP; International Solidarity Officer of Waltham Forest NUT; member of Artists for Palestine UK Collective
96. Dr Gillian Yudkin Islington North CLP; signatory of Jews for Justice for Palestinians; chair of British Shalom-Salaam Trust
97. Prof John S Yudkin MD FRCP Islington North CLP; Emeritus Professor of Medicine, UCL; Medact; Lancet Palestine Health Alliance; signatory of Jews for Justice for Palestinians; author of The Israeli Medical Association and Doctorsʼ Complicity in Torture.